Geological and ecological prerequisites as well as the type of intended waste are the specific criteria that must be taken into consideration when a landfill is to be constructed. A site can only be developed sustainably if all relevant factors are included in the planning. Sustainability and lasting economic efficiency are the focus for P+R when it comes to landfill construction –regardless of whether the landfill is old or is being newly built. In order to achieve these goals, our team supports you in the planning and construction phase for landfills of the classes DK 0 to DK II. Of course we also assist in the extensive monitoring and documentation obligations in connection with the operation and aftercare.
Together we identify the characteristics of the site in detail, check all possible options and develop a concept that is suitable for you. We also work with CAD and three-dimensional terrain models in order to make the planning as efficient and realistic as possible.
Our engineers also support you in site management tasks, in coordinating issues with public authorities and in resolving operational issues. Due to close cooperation with landfill operators, public administration offices and specialist offices as well as regular continuing education measures regarding landfill legislation and technology, their professional skills are always state of the art.
We have a lot of experience in the provision of substitute construction material for sealing systems and soil for surface sealing (material flow management) provided by the client. Especially in questions of geotechnical and environmental suitability of the materials, we can consult our customers comprehensively.
One of our focal areas is the performance of feasibility studies. The fundamental data we collect is of crucial importance for site developers and project developers since it allows assessing the realizability of a construction project under legal, ecological, and economic aspects. This enables you to make the right long-term decisions. Taking into account our feasibility studies, we can also offer a listing of all costs involved in building and operating a landfill.
In addition, we offer support for your landfill construction project in the area of landfill gas. We plan gas collection systems for active landfill degassing as well as the appropriate treatment facilities – again taking into account site-specific requirements.
Overall, our services in the area of landfill construction consist of the following sub-areas:
- Geotechnical site explorations
- Feasibility studies, profitability calculations
- Variation studies
- Planning, tendering, construction supervision on site
- Volume calculation by means of digital terrain models
- Design of sealing and drainage systems, taking into account future usages (e. g. photovoltaics, industrial areas such as recycling facilities, demolition waste processing facilities)
- Planning of facilities for the infiltration of leachate into the landfill body
- Design of sealing systems along steep faces
- Planning of active/passive gas collection systems
- Geotechnical settlement and deformation considerations, also in cases of very settlement-prone surfaces (e. g. landfill on top of landfill)
- Stability calculations for landfill slopes
- Material flow management regarding the procurement of substitute construction materials for landfills
- Development of quality assurance plans
- Development of operational deposit plans
- Support with material flow management
A comprehensive feasibility study is the first step for a successful technical project. It does not substitute a detailed planning but supports the planner by delivering all relevant project data and the objectives of the project.
Our feasibility studies aim to collect baseline data as well as to assess the feasibility of technical projects under consideration of legal, environmental and economical conditionsThat way we deliver all relevant information needed by the project developer in the decision making process.
Of course, our feasibility studies also include calculations of profitability and first cost estimates for planning, construction and operation of technical facilities. Furthermore, we calculate project budgets and rates.
We prepare a realistic schedule for the timely project completion considering all relevant information.
The feasibility studies are of further importance for the project developer as they provide important information for the calculation of required resources and quantities which are needed to ensure a full capacity utilization of the production plant during the time of operation.
Our interdisciplinary team consisting of geologists as well as civil, process, electrical and economic engineers can complete planning tasks successfully. We are happy to visit you on your premises in order to complete all planning tasks in direct cooperation until the feasibility study is delivered.
Further services in connection with the operation and aftercare of a landfill
During the operationor the decommissioning of the landfill or in context of aftercare, as a landfill operator you have to meet a variety of documentation and monitoring requirements towards the approving authorities. With the following services we like to support you:
- Preparation of an annual landfill report
- Authorization screening
- Preparation for an Industrial Emissions Directive (IED) inspection
- Preparation of an operating manual, operation instructions as well as other necessary internal documents
- Appraisal of aptitude of the landfill for the deposition of specific waste
- FID mapping
- Landfill gas extraction tests
- Consulting on the optimization of the gas extraction and landfill operation
- Groundwater monitoring
- (Technical) environmental examination of the usage of leachate for the conditioning of to be installed waste
- Measurements, forecasts of the settlements and deformations
- Overall concept for the dismissal of the aftercare obligation
- Planning of photovoltaic systems on top of the landfill
- BImSch (Federal Imissions Control Act) applications for the subsequent use of the landfill site, for example for temporary waste,as well as soil and construction waste storage, for construction waste processing or for composting plants